On this page you will find links to guide on the basic things you need to do when you start up a business as an individual or an entity.
What you need to do when you want to start a business?
An individual whether resident or nonresident is required to visit TRA regional or district office and fill TIN application form to apply for Taxpayer Identification Number. The application can also be made online, however the applicant must physically visit TRA offices for biometric scanning which involves taking photograph, finger prints and signature.
After obtaining TIN certificate the applicant will be required to apply for business license from the office responsible for trade affairs in District, Municipal or City councils or the Ministry responsible for trade affairs depending on the nature of business.
Certificate of Registration:
An individual may opt to register the business name to the agency commissioned by Ministry of Trade and Industry known as Business Registration and Licensing Authority (BRELA). The registered name can be obtained before or after application for TIN. The registered business name shall be indicated on the TIN certificate together with an individuals’ name showing the owners name trading as (T/A).
Starting a corporation requires a person to apply for the Certificate of incorporation from Business Registration and Licensing Authority (BRELA). The promoters of the company are required to draw and submit the certificate and Memorandum and articles of association.
The Certificate of incorporation shall be attached to the TIN application enclosed with Memorandum and Articles of Associations when a person makes application to TRA.
The limited company shall apply for TIN certificate by filling TIN application forms as follows:
- Application for the company.
- Application for each shareholders/directors, in case any director has already issued with TIN certificates for other purpose he/she cannot make another application. The same TIN number will be used.
- For non citizen directors are required to fulfill all immigration procedure and obtaining business permit from the Immigration Department working under Ministry of Home Affairs.
The partners have to register for the firm at BRELA and acquire the certificate of registration which shows the number and names of partners with their respective distribution ratio.
- In applying for TIN the partnership firm shall apply for its certificate by submitting the copy of certificate of registration obtained from BRELA.
- Each individual partner shall apply for TIN, in case any partner has already issued with TIN certificate for other purpose he/she cannot make another application. The same TIN will be used.
Trust is an arrangement under which the trustees hold assets but excludes partnership and a company.
A trust has to register for the firm at BRELA and acquire the certificate of registration which shows the names and addresses of trustees. Each trustee shall apply for TIN, in case any trustee has already been issued with TIN certificate for other purpose he/she cannot make another application. The same TIN will be used.
An entity will be recognized as charitable organization for tax purposes after been issued with a ruling by the Commissioner General.